up firefighters memorial
Back to map

UP Firefighters Museum

327 Sixth Street, Calumet, MI 49913

The Copper Country Firefighters History Museum was first opened in 1898 and is presently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Using Jacobsville sandstone directly from Lake Superior, the building was designed by a local architect specializing in Richardson Romanesque design. When it first opened, the building housed the six horses that pulled the fire wagons and were used in conjunction with the La France pumper that arrived in 1919. The original fire truck is on display, along with photos of the trucks being pulled without wheels on sleighs. Additional older model fire trucks are also on display, including a 1930 American La France pumper, a 1942 Ford pumper truck, and a 1957 American La France pumper truck. Older fire equipment from the 1850s and early 1900s is on display to highlight how fire equipment has changed. The building was reopened in 1991 as a firefighters museum. 

Visit website