Fort Wilkins State Park canon
Back to map

Fort Wilkins State Park

15223 US-41, Copper Harbor, MI 49918

Fort Wilkins State Park offers a historical interpretation based on life in the Keweenaw during the copper rush in the mid 1800s. Fort Wilkins began operation in 1844 to serve as a buffer between those in the area for the copper boom and the Ojibwa. The Fort follows traditional military post structures, but was quickly abandoned shortly after until after the Civil War when it was regarrisoned and was officially discontinued as a military post in 1870. Since then, it has been a popular destination for tourists, becoming a historic landmark in 1921 and a Michigan State Park in 1923. The park maintains 19 buildings with 12 made of the original log and frame structures. The park is also home to one of the first lighthouses on Lake Superior, which was built in 1866. The park is popular for tours, as well as for camping and picnics.

Visit website