Portage Lift Bridge
US-41, Houghton, MI 49931
The Portage Lift Bridge is the only double-deck, vertical lift bridge in Michigan and was opened for automotive traffic in 1959, reaching full completion in 1960 for automotive, rail, and ship traffic. The structure was designed by Hazelet and Erdal with rail traffic flowing on the lower deck and automotive traffic on the upper deck with an option to minimize traffic disruption for boat and automotive traffic if only raised to the intermediate level. The last train crossed the tracks in 1982 but the lower level continues to function as a crossing path for snowmobiles. Take in the Portage Lift Bridge from multiple viewing points along the waterfront walking trails.